Conor McGregor Delivers Stern Message to Dustin Poirier After Leg Surgery: ‘You Have Done Nothing in There’

Conor McGregor suffered a disappointing loss to Dustin Poirier at UFC 264 after breaking his leg. The injury sends McGregor on the mend toward working his way back to the octagon. The former UFC lightweight champion didn’t waste any time in issuing a stern message to Poirier.

Conor McGregor loses to Dustin Poirier after suffering a broken leg

McGregor entered the octagon on Saturday night at UFC 264 with the sole focus of avenging his loss to Poirier.

However, the 32-year-old’s chances quickly went down the drain after suffering a broken left leg in the first round. The injury awarded Poirier a TKO victory for Poirier, earning his seventh win in his last eight fights. The loss marks McGregor’s third loss in his previous four bouts.

As he heads toward recovery from his surgically repaired leg, the former UFC lightweight double-champion delivered a strong message to Poirier.

Conor McGregor delivers stern message to Dustin Poirier after leg surgery: ‘You have done nothing in there’

The injury sent McGregor into immediate surgery to repair the serious ailment.

McGregor didn’t take long to get back to his usual boastful ways regarding his fighting ability. The 32-year-old stated in a video posted on Twitter that he will be back in the octagon to get the better of Poirier.

“Everything went to plan and everything went perfect,” McGregor said. “I’m feeling tremendous. We got six weeks on a crutch now then we begin to build back. I want to thank the fans for your messages of support. I want to thank all the fans in attendance. The place was absolutely electric.

“It was a hell of a first round and would have been nice to get into that second round to see what’s what. It is what it is. That’s the nature of the business. A clean break of the tibia and it was just not meant to be. Dustin, you can celebrate that illegitimate win all you want but you have done nothing in there. The second round would have shown all. Onwards and upwards we go team.”

Although it marked the sixth career loss on McGregor’s MMA resume, the injury prevented him from avenging his loss earlier this year to Poirier. He will have to wait a few months before getting a fourth opportunity to face the former interim UFC Lightweight champion.

A fourth fight against Dustin Poirer is set in stone

The UFC 264 main event fight ended stunningly, but not in the manner that leaves fight fans satisfied with the result.

An injury prevented Poirier from grabbing a win through a decision, knockout, or submission. After Saturday’s event, UFC president Dana White voiced a fourth bout between the two fighters will take place once the 32-year-old returns to full strength.

“It sucks, it’s brutal and it’s not the way you want to see fights end,” White said via CBS Sports. “Dustin Poirier will fight for the title and when Conor is healed and ready to go, we’ll do the rematch.”

McGregor will likely shoot to get back into the octagon by the end of the year or early 2022. It should be noted that he fought Poirier this past January. The UFC will likely provide him all the time he needs to recover from the leg injury.

It will take him roughly six weeks to operate without crutches and an extended time after to get his back into form. Beyond that, the two fighters will have the chance to add a fourth fight to their rivalry.

Like Sportscasting on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter @sportscasting19.

RELATED: Conor McGregor Bluntly Revealed Why He Retired From the UFC