Whatever the Los Angeles Dodgers do in the near future, they should not expect to have Trevor Bauer or Dave Stewart involved.
Bauer is currently on administrative leave after a woman alleged he raped and physically assaulted her earlier this year. As for Stewart, who hasn’t pitched for the Dodgers since 1983, he wants nothing to do with his former franchise in large part because of Bauer’s alleged behavior.
Stewart is extremely displeased with how the Dodgers handled Bauer’s case
When a woman alleged Bauer assaulted her, Stewart paid attention. And when the Dodgers hesitated to take any action, the three-time World Champion noticed.
In a recent interview with USA Today, the 64-year-old Stewart explained his frustration with the Dodgers’ management and front office. The Dodgers intended to start Bauer on Sunday, July 4, only days after the assault allegations first became public. Major League Baseball eventually placed Bauer on administrative leave on Friday, July 2.
Stewart, who the Dodgers drafted in 1975, said “the organization isn’t what it was” anymore after they waited on Major League Baseball to intervene.
“The Dodgers organization that I grew up in under the O’Malley family would never stand for that. The Dodgers should have stepped up in that situation, and they didn’t. You’ve got to have character standards.”Dave Stewart
Bauer has denied the allegations through his agent, Jon Fetterolf, and has not been charged yet, although he remained under criminal investigation as of publication. Bauer is expected to formally dispute the allegations at a hearing on July 23.
Stewart, who grew up with six sisters, blasted his former team for waiting for the league to step in and remove Bauer from the active roster.
“The Dodgers let MLB enforce the leave of absence,’’ Stewart said, “but in my opinion, you don’t need to wait for MLB to tell you what to do. Why are you putting your hands on a woman that way? He tries to say it was consensual, but what kind of person would ever do that?”
Stewart is boycotting the Dodgers’ 1981 reunion
Although Stewart intended to attend the Dodgers’ 40th-year reunion for the 1981 World Series championship team, he told USA Today that he now refuses to participate because of how they handled the Bauer situation.
Stewart said the Dodgers sent him an email that read, “The team and the Players Associations support the player until he’s guilty.”
In response, Stewart — who said he saw graphic pictures from the woman’s temporary restraining order request — sent the following message in all caps.
“HE BROKE THE UNWRITTEN RULE ON HOW YOU SHOULD TREAT WOMEN!”Dave Stewart
As of publication, the Dodgers had not publicly commented on Stewart’s interview or his plans to not attend the ceremony.
The Dodgers have severely mishandled the Bauer situation
Although baseball still believes in “innocent until proven guilty,” Stewart is correct that the Dodgers should have taken immediate action. There is enough precedent of teams suspending players or placing them on administrative leave for minor infractions.
Managers regularly bench players for not running out ground balls or forgetting how many outs there were on a given play. The Indians placed starting pitchers Mike Clevinger and Zach Plesac on the restricted list in August 2020 for leaving their hotel and violating COVID-19 protocols.
Instead, the Dodgers waited until Major League Baseball stepped in. Had the league not intervened, one has to wonder if Bauer would have pitched against the Washington Nationals on July 4.
Stewart said he looked forward to attending the event and seeing all of his former teammates. In reflecting upon those days as a young pitcher, he mentioned the “Dodger tradition” and how the team stood for character. Clearly, he feels those days are long gone.
How to get help: Text HOME to 741-741 to connect with a trained crisis counselor at the free Crisis Text Line.