Is Tom Brady Vegan? Here’s a Closer Look at the GOAT’s Diet

Thomas Edward Brady is an American football quarterback who has steered his team to an astounding seven Super Bowl victories. Brady’s excellence in football defies age as he dominates young talent, earning football’s Most Valuable Player (MVP) title for the fifth time in 2021. Considering Brady is 44 years old, many have been prompted to speculate if Brady’s diet is the key to his success, making him the greatest of all time (GOAT) in football. Specifically, fans wonder: Is Tom Brady vegan? Let’s take a closer look.

Is Tom Brady vegan?

Former New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady in 2019.
Tom Brady of the New England Patriots before a game against the Philadelphia Eagles on Nov. 17, 2019. | Mitchell Leff/Getty Images

Despite numerous speculations about Tom Brady’s diet, no, he’s not vegan. 

According to Business Insider, Brady stated that his body used to hurt all the time when he was 25. That was his wake-up call to make a lifestyle change in order to keep playing football. Suffice to say his lifestyle change has helped him stay on top of his game well into his 40s, when most players would be retiring. 

So, if Brady is not vegan, what is his diet like, and how has he managed to retain his GOAT status?

What does Tom Brady eat in a day?

Tom Brady has been on a strict diet since he implemented his drastic lifestyle change. Together with his wife, Gisele Bündchen, they adhere to the diet even when on vacation. It consists of 80% plant-based foods — vegetables and whole grains. He supplements the remaining 20% with lean meat from grass-fed organic animals. 

In a day, Brady consumes 12-25 glasses of water. His morning routine consists of a pre-workout smoothie and a post-workout protein shake, then eggs and avocado for breakfast. For lunch and dinner, he takes in lean meat and lots of vegetables. Throughout the day, Brady snacks on mixed nuts, guacamole, or hummus.

In an interview with Men’s Health, Brady stated that he doesn’t restrict himself from something he really wants. (Yes, even Tom Brady has cheat days.) The NFL player treats himself on occasion, but under one condition ― it has to be worth it. So he goes for the best, whether that’s bacon or a slice of pizza.

Brady’s personal chef, Allen Campbell, has been open and straightforward about Brady’s diet. In an interview with Boston, Campbell highlighted what Brady and the family consume on a regular basis. He went on to list where he shops for ingredients, the ingredients he doesn’t use, and why. 

Over the years, Brady has tried to share his diet and methods with other players, going so far as publishing a book, The TB12 Method. The book details his methods and diet, their efficacy in extending his career as an athlete, and how they can be employed by other athletes.

How else does Tom Brady take care of his body?

Dieting is just one part of staying healthy and fit. Coupled with a rigorous fitness schedule, it’s no wonder Brady is in such great shape. The GOAT’s fitness routine is micromanaged by his all-time trainer and business partner, Alex Guerrero. As Business Insider highlights, Brady’s normal fitness routine begins with a 4-minute pre-workout deep force massage. The massage, administered by Guerrero, targets 20 muscle groups in preparation for an intense workout.

As Brady has aged, he’s switched his workout routine from using heavy weights to resistance bands to reduce the risk of muscle tears. His 40-minute workout consists of squats, planks, lunges, and crunches, all for muscle flexibility. The workout is then followed by another massage focused on flushing out lactic acid that builds up during exercise.

Another factor when it comes to Brady’s NFL career success is his mind — where he believes success begins. He’s had brain imaging done to help him understand how his brain, specifically processes information. Additionally, Brady uses brain apps designed for people with cognitive impairment to help sharpen his focus and exercise his brain. He also practices transcendental meditation for emotional stability and to keep him spiritually nourished.

RELATED: You Can’t Deny That Tom Brady’s NFL Career Is Anything but Amazing