NFL

Myles Garrett Reveals What Triggered His Helmet Attack on Mason Rudolph

It has been a week since Cleveland Browns star defensive end Myles Garrett and Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Mason Rudolph got into a tussle on the field that has landed the former with a lengthy suspension. The two sides have issued comments since the incident, which saw Garrett appeal the ban for the rest of the 2019 season. During the hearing on Thursday morning, the Pro Bowler made a strong accusation towards Rudolph that has raised some eyebrows.

The Myles Garrett/Mason Rudolph Incident

In the waning moments of the Browns’ 21-7 win over the Steelers last Thursday night, things took a drastic turn with tempers flaring off.

Garrett took down Rudolph after throwing a completed pass, which led to the two wrestling on the ground. Rudolph took exception to being hit after he threw the ball to which he attempted to remove Garrett’s helmet.

That set off the Browns defensive end while being held back by a couple of Steelers’ offensive linemen as he snagged Rudolph’s helmet off his head. Within seconds after that, he swung the helmet that saw the bottom padded part hit the second-year quarterback on the top of the head.

That led to Garrett getting ejected from the rest of the game. In the days that have followed, he received a suspension for the last six regular-season games. Meanwhile, Steelers center Maurkice Pouncey received a three-game suspension for punching and kicking, and Browns’ defensive tackle Larry Ogunjobi collected a one-game ban for shoving Rudolph to the ground.

Garrett immediately placed an appeal on the lengthy suspension, which he made some serious allegations towards Rudolph.

Myles Garrett’s strong accusations towards Mason Rudolph

In the wake of the entire matter, Garrett apologized for his actions but did pinpoint a reason why it escalated into an ugly brawl.

The NFL heard his appeal on Thursday morning, where he voiced that Rudolph had aimed a racial slur at him that set him off, according to ESPN.

During an appeal hearing with the NFL on Wednesday, Cleveland Browns defensive end Myles Garrett alleged that Mason Rudolph directed a racial slur at him just prior to last week’s brawl on “Thursday Night Football,” sources told ESPN’s Josina Anderson and Adam Schefter, an accusation the Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback strongly denies.

Rudolph’s attorney quickly put out a statement in response to those allegations that vehemently denied that notion by voicing that there was no suggestion of that before the hearing. There might not have been a flat-out mark hinting at that, but Garrett did field questions after the game about whether there was anything said that set him off to which he voiced that he wasn’t going to comment on it.

Nonetheless, what that does more than anything else is add another wrinkle to the entire situation.

NFL comes to a decision on Myles Garrett’s suspension


Despite Garrett voicing that during his two-hour appeal session, the NFL decided on Thursday to uphold the indefinite suspension, according to Adam Schefter of ESPN.

There are many different ways to interpret this decision by the NFL, which comes down to there not being a strong enough case from Garrett to reduce the punishment. It was clear that Rudolph did play a part in initiating the entire ordeal, but the league viewed the Browns’ star defensive end’s response by swinging the helmet as going over the top to warrant a lengthy suspension.

Garrett will now be out for at least the rest of the 2019 season, while the NFL determines the exact number of games that his actions cost him. It’s a significant blow for Cleveland being without one of their best players in their push towards the playoffs.