Manchester United Eliminates Liverpool From FA Cup In Wild Match

We publish independently audited information that meets our strong editorial guidelines. Be aware we may earn a commission if you purchase anything via links on our pages.
Manchester United players celebrate goal

Manchester United twice came from behind to eliminate arch-rivals Liverpool in the FA Cup quarterfinals in a 4-3 thriller.

Coventry, Manchester City, Chelsea, and (now) Manchester United are now locked in for the FA Cup semifinals thanks to what unfolded when the Red Devils eliminated their rivals Liverpool at Old Trafford after a historic match.

Man U had the Cup as their main objective in order to save their season, and the soccer club gave it their all. Scott McTominay opened the scoring in the 10th minute. The midfielder’s 9th goal of the season capped a fine start from the Red Devils, who had already made their mark in the 5th minute when Caoimhin Kelleher pulled off a shot from Marcus Rashford. But without the injured Casemiro, they often lacked impact in midfield.

Five minutes after Wataru Endo’s goal had been disallowed for offside, Alexis Mac Allister equalized in the 44th minute. Darwin Nunez was also involved in the goal scored a few seconds later by Mohamed Salah. Dominant, the Reds were unable to find a way through. The introduction of Antony in the 71st minute was a real blow. After being found by the excellent Alejandro Garnacho, the Brazilian equalized three minutes from time; he had not scored at Old Trafford for over a year (24 matches).

Pushed into extra time, Liverpool relied on Harvey Elliott. The 20-year-old English prodigy, who came close to scoring in the 89th minute, put his club back in front with a long-range shot that was deflected wide by Christian Eriksen in the 105th minute. Stunned but not knocked out, under the eyes of their fan Tyson Fury, they leveled again via Rashford, on the receiving end of a McTominay pass. And it was the unlikely Amad Diallo who gave Manchester United the gift of Wembley in the 120th minute, after an attacking Liverpool corner. Old Trafford descended into madness and the young Ivorian, ecstatic, was sent off for taking off his shirt. 

This post is originally from L’Équipe