NFL Playoff Picture 2022: Who’s In and Who’s Out Heading Into Week 17?
With Week 16 now in the books, nine teams have officially punched their tickets to the NFL Playoffs as the Cincinnati Bengals, Baltimore Ravens, and Los Angeles Chargers joined the six who had already clinched a week ago.
While the Philadelphia Eagles took a loss this past Saturday to the Dallas Cowboys, they remain the No. 1 seed in the NFC at 13-2. The NFC North-winning Minnesota Vikings still reside in the No. 2 spot at 12-3, while the San Francisco 49ers, winners of the NFC West, are third at 11-4 following their eighth straight victory.
The Cowboys are the only other team in the NFC who’ve clinched their spot and seemed destined to remain in the first wild-card slot at No. 5.
In the AFC, the Buffalo Bills are still in the top spot while the Kansas City Chiefs, who own the same 12-3 record, sit at No. 2. The Bills, of course, owns the tiebreaker due to their Week 6 win over the Chiefs.
The Bengals currently sit atop the AFC North and are in the No. 3 spot with a big Week 17 matchup with Buffalo looming. Cincy is a game up on the Ravens, who hold the No. 5 spot. The Chargers clinched their first playoff berth in four years with a win on Monday night over the Colts and reside in the No. 6 spot.
Let’s take a look at the entire NFL playoff picture as it stands heading into Week 17.
NFL Playoff Picture 2022: Who’s in and who’s out in the NFC heading into Week 17?
As has been the case all year, the Eagles own the best record in the NFL, so we’ll once again start in the NFC. Here’s who’s in. (*=clinched playoff spot)
- 1. Philadelphia Eagles* (13-2, 1st NFC East)
- 2. Minnesota Vikings* (12-3, 1st NFC North)
- 3. San Francisco 49ers* (11-4, 1st NFC West)
- 4. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (7-8, 1st NFC South)
- 5. Dallas Cowboys* (11-4, 2nd NFC East)
- 6. New York Giants (8-6-1, 3rd NFC East)
- 7. Washington Commanders (7-7-1, 4th NFC East)
And here’s who’s out.
- 8. Seattle Seahawks (7-8, 2nd NFC West)
- 9. Detroit Lions (7-8, 2nd NFC North)
- 10. Green Bay Packers (7-8, 3rd NFC North)
- 11. Carolina Panthers (6-9, 2nd NFC South)
- 12. New Orleans Saints (6-9, 3rd NFC South)
Eliminated: Los Angeles Rams (5-10, 3rd NFC West), Atlanta Falcons (5-10, 4th NFC South), Arizona Cardinals (4-11, 4th NFC West), Chicago Bears (3-12, 4th NFC North)
NFL Playoff Picture 2022: Who’s in and who’s out in the AFC heading into Week 17?
And now a look at the AFC postseason picture. Here’s who’s in. (*=clinched playoff spot)
- 1. Buffalo Bills* (12-3, 1st AFC East)
- 2. Kansas City Chiefs* (12-3, 1st AFC West)
- 3. Cincinnati Bengals* (11-4, 1st AFC North)
- 4. Jacksonville Jaguars (7-8, 1st AFC South)
- 5. Baltimore Ravens* (10-5, 2nd AFC North)
- 6. Los Angeles Chargers* (9-6, 2nd AFC West)
- 7. Miami Dolphins (8-7, 2nd AFC East)
And here’s who’s out.
- 8. New England Patriots (7-8, 3rd AFC East)
- 9. New York Jets (7-8, 4th AFC East)
- 10. Tennessee Titans (7-8, 2nd AFC South)
- 11. Pittsburgh Steelers (7-8, 3rd AFC North)
- 12. Las Vegas Raiders (6-9, 3rd AFC West)
Eliminated: Cleveland Browns (6-9, 4th AFC North), Indianapolis Colts (4-10-1, 3rd AFC South), Denver Broncos (4-11, 4th AFC West), Houston Texans (2-12-1, 4th AFC South)