Ahead of his imminent return to football with AS Monaco, Paul Pogba has opened up about how Juventus treated him after his doping ban.
The former Manchester United midfielder has claimed the Bianconeri did not support him after he got the career-changing ban. Pogba said he felt as if he was at “war” with Juve as well as the anti-doping authorities.
Paul Pogba Got a Career-Changing Doping Ban for DHEA
Pogba failed a random doping test after Juventus’ Serie A clash with Udinese on August 20, 2023. DHEA, which can boost the level of testosterone and is on the World Anti-Doping Agency’s banned list, was found in his bloodstream. A second sample also tested positive for the substance in October.
Italy’s anti-doping tribunal initially handed Pogba a four-year ban for doping. Following an appeal, the suspension was dropped to 18 months.
Paul Pogba's doping ban officially ends today, making him eligible to return to competitive football for the first time since September 2023.
Which club should sign the midfielder? 👀 pic.twitter.com/IepAmcIaqW
— ESPN FC (@ESPNFC) March 11, 2025
In their final judgement, the Court of Arbitration for Sport confirmed that Pogba took DHEA out of negligence. Importantly, the court ruled that DHEA did not enhance Pogba’s performance, as it only affects females.
Paul Pogba Says Juventus Did Not Support Him During Doping Ban
After he received the doping ban, Paul Pogba’s wages dropped to a mere €2,400 (£2,056) per month. Juventus and Pogba mutually decided to part ways in November 2024.
Ahead of starting a fresh chapter in Ligue 1, Pogba opened up about how Juventus treated him after his suspension. The 32-year-old accused the club of denying him his rights.
“I asked Juventus for help, but I wasn’t given it,” the 32-year-old told Sept a huit on TF1 (via Gazzetta)
“I asked to get a fitness coach, as I was still part of the team, I had the right to get it. Let’s say Juventus didn’t support me, and that struck with me. I didn’t understand why. I thought I was at war with anti-doping authorities, not Juventus.”
🗣️ Pogba: "My children went to school near Juve training center, walking past it was very difficult. I asked the club for massages and having an athletic trainer, but they did not help me.
I thought I was at war against anti-doping, not Juventus. I had the right for it, they… pic.twitter.com/7iyTgNI3hC
— Football Talk (@FootballTalkHQ) June 23, 2025
He concluded by adding:
“I couldn’t keep taking my kids to school every day, passing by the stadium and the training centre, and knowing I wouldn’t be able to play for a long time. My kids kept asking me when I’d be back on the pitch and when they could watch me at the stadium again.”
Paul Pogba Excited to Start a Fresh Chapter at AS Monaco
Paul Pogba, who became eligible to play again in March 2025, recently made headlines for posing and playing in a Boca Juniors jersey. However, according to reports, he is set to join Monaco in a two-year deal.
🚨💣 AS Monaco are closing in on deal to sign Paul Pogba as free agent, here we go soon! 🔜
Final details being sorted then deal done for French midfielder back in action after long ban.
Two year contract ready, as revealed last week… almost there. 🐙🇲🇨 pic.twitter.com/vwtpbbs2Gd
— Fabrizio Romano (@FabrizioRomano) June 22, 2025
Ahead of his imminent return to football, Pogba said:
“I’m mentally and physically ready, and I’m eager to start again. I’m 32, but I still feel like a kid.”
Across two spells, Pogba played 190 games for the club in all competitions, scoring 34 goals and providing 39 assists. He won four Serie A titles and two Coppa Italia trophies, among other honours.