Okay, so the Slammy Awards may not be the most prestigious awards ceremony that professional wrestling has to offer — that would probably be the WWE Hall of Fame ceremony over WrestleMania weekend — but the Slammys are one of the only other options out there and can actually be fun at times and Vince McMahon has decided to bring them back after a four-year absence. WWE held what they call Year-End Awards over the past couple of years but nobody really knew when they were on or who was nominated for what. And Year-End Awards just doesn’t have the ring to it like Slammy Awards has, does it?
The first Slammy Awards were held all the way back in 1986 and were a thing for two years before Vince shut them down. They made a comeback in 1994 but were dropped the next year before returning for a two-year run in 1996 and 1997. Following more than a decade away, the Slammys returned in 2008 and were held for eight consecutive years before McMahon again did away with them after the 2015 event.
But the Slammys are once again a thing and winners in the 10 categories for 2020, five of which will be decided by the WWE Universe, will be announced on Wednesday, December 23, at 10:00 a.m. Eastern on the WWE Network and the company’s digital platforms. And since we’ve got Slammys on the brain, we also did some digging to find out who has won the most in history and the answer isn’t shocking at all.
10 WWE Slammy Awards will be handed out in 2020, five of which will be voted on by the fans
WWE has 10 categories for the 2020 Slammy Awards, which are as follows:
- Superstar of the Year
- Match of the Year
- Rivalry of the Year
- Tag Team of the Year
- Return of the Year
- Ring Gear of the Year
- Breakout Star of the Year
- Female Superstar of the Year
- Male Superstar of the Year
- Moment of the Year
The first five on that list are the ones that can be voted on by the WWE Universe, which can be done at WWE.com.
Shawn Michaels has won the most WWE Slammy Awards in history with 15
After going through the results of past Slammy Awards, we found that Shawn Michaels has won the most trophies with 15. Okay, so some of the wins he had were in some of those ridiculous categories that WWE was so fond of for a while but a win is a win and it’s not as if The Heartbreak Kid didn’t earn the serious ones that he did, namely multiple Match of the Year Slammys. Here’s the full list of the Slammys won by HBK.
- 1994-Most Spectacular Match (vs. Razor Ramon at WrestleMania 10)
- 1994-Best Tag Team (with Diesel)
- 1994-Worst Tag Team (with Diesel)…yes, they won both
- 1996-Best Entrance
- 1996-Best Threads
- 1996-Squared Circle Shocker
- 1996-Match of the Year (vs. Razor Ramon at SummerSlam ’95)
- 1996-Leader of the New Generation
- 1996-Master of Mat Mechanics
- 1997-Match of the Year (vs. Bret Hart at WrestleMania 12)
- 1997-Best Finisher
- 2008-Match of the Year (vs. Ric Flair at WrestleMania 24)
- 2009-Match of the Year (vs. The Undertaker at WrestleMania 25)
- 2010-Moment of the Year (his last match vs. The Undertaker at WrestleMania 26)
- 2013-Double-Cross of the Year (gives Sweet Chin Music to Daniel Bryan at Hell in a Cell)
The Undertaker and Daniel Bryan have both won (or been a part of) 12
As for second place, both The Undertaker and Daniel Bryan have won 12 Slammy Awards, or at least been a part of a dozen anyway. It’s sometimes difficult to know exactly who gets one but they’ve both won 11 outright and each was on the receiving end of another…The Undertaker for the OMG Moment of the Year in 2014 when he was beaten by Brock Lesnar at WrestleMania 30 and Daniel Bryan in 2013 for the Double-Cross of the Year when he was given some Sweet Chin Music at Hell in a Cell.