Which Quarterback Has the Strongest Arm in NFL History?
Quarterback controversies will always come up during football discussions. Every NFL fan tends to go bonkers about QB stats and each athlete’s place in history.
Quarterbacks with the strongest arms in NFL history
There have to be some justifications to make this list of the quarterbacks with the strongest arms. Here are the top 10 QBs who prove their arm strength with stats, according to Bleacher Report:
- Dan Marino: Arguably one of the best NFL players with the strongest arm, Marino had the purest passes the game has ever seen. Although he never won a Super Bowl, his powerful arm deserves recognition.
- Brett Favre: The canon hand broke many fingers and gave Favre the nickname “the old gunslinger” for his exceptionally strong arm.
- John Elway: Throwing up to 70 yards down the field right on the money says a lot about the strength of Elway’s arm.
- Jim Hart: Hart completed a record of 98 yards passing in the air, as his throws seemed to “leave a vapor trail.”
- Terry Bradshaw: In his day, the Steelers quarterback made some perfectly prolific deep balls that left fans gasping.
- Jeff George: The QB was able to make deep, perfect passes even on the run.
- Doug Williams: In his time, Williams had an ability to throw the football from one end zone to another.
- Jim Kelly: The Buffalo Bills legend threw deep balls with seemingly little effort.
- Johnny Unitas: The deadly accurate passer of all time also made some of the deepest throws.
- Jack Kemp: With various types of passing records in the AFL record books, there is no disputing the arm strength of Kemp.
The strongest arm currently in the NFL
Josh Allen has the best throw power ranking in the NFL currently, reports Fox Sports. Madden 22 ranks Allen of the Buffalo Bills on the top list. The 25-year-old impressed his teammates, opponents, and the media after reaching a career-best with a completion percentage (69.2%), passing touchdowns (37), and passing yards (4,544).
In three years, he’s already made it to league MVP voting, finishing second behind Aaron Rodgers. Allen led the Bills to a first-place finish with a 13-3 record in the AFC East last season. Others on the list of the strongest arms currently in the NFL include reigning MVP Patrick Mahomes, Baker Mayfield, and Matthew Stafford.
What it takes to have a strong arm as a quarterback
Having a strong arm in the NFL requires players to focus on flexibility, form, and muscle strength. One QB who rarely enters the discussion is Dieter Brock. He only spent one season in the NFL, but Brock is known as one of the greatest passers who participated in the league.
Brock’s training techniques gave him his legendary arm. Among various arm strength drills, Brock used a weighted football during workouts. Working on shoulder strength and lifting weights offers upper body strength. Sports Illustrated reports that Brock could make a 93-yard pass and a 55-yard pass on one knee, contributing to his nickname: “The Birmingham Rifle.”