When Does Champions League Come Back in 2023?
The Chaaammmppiooooonnsss! Soccer fans can hear that tune in their heads as they patiently wait for the 2022-23 UEFA Champions League to return. The last matches of the 2022-23 Champions League Group Stage went off on November 2, 2022. After that, all professional football took a break for the 2022 World Cup. Now, domestic leagues have come back, and before you know it, UCL will return, too. So, the question is, when does Champions League come back?
When does Champions League return in 2023?
For soccer fans asking, “when is the next Champions League match?” the answer is the same time of year it always is. Although the World Cup threw off domestic leagues around the globe, the UCL knockout stages will stick to the usual timeline.
The 2023 Champions League Round of 16 comes back on February 14, 2023.
Teams will play the first legs of their Round of 16 matchups on Tuesday the 14th and Wednesday the 15th and Tuesday the 21st, and Wednesday the 22nd.
The rest of the UCL schedule for 2023 looks like this:
Round of 16
- Leg 1: February 14, 15, 21, 22
- Leg 2: March 7, 8, 14, 15
- Draw for final eight bracket: March 17
- Leg 1: April 11, 12
- Leg 2: April 18, 19
- Leg 1: May 9, 10
- Leg 2: May 16, 17
- June 10
- Location: Atatürk Olympic Stadium in Istanbul, Turkey
What teams are still left in 2022-23 UCL?
After one of the best World Cup tournaments of all time, the 2023 Champions League knockout rounds have a lot to live up to. Luckily, the 16 teams left in the world’s most prestigious professional tournament are the best in the world.
Here are the 16 teams left in the 2023 UCL and when they play their Round of 16 matches:
- Paris Saint-Germain (France) vs. Bayern Munich (Germany), February 14, March 8
- AC Milan (Italy) vs. Tottenham Hotspur (England) February 14, March 8
- Chelsea (England) vs. Borussia Dortmund (Germany), February 15, March 7
- Club Brugge (Belgium) vs. Benfica (Portugal), February 15, March 7
- Liverpool (England) vs. Real Madrid (Spain), February 21, March 15
- Eintracht Frankfurt (Germany) vs. Napoli (Italy), February 21, March 15
- RB Leipzig (Germany) vs. Manchester City (England), February 22, March 14
- Inter Milan (Italy) vs. Porto (Portugal), February 22, March 14
When Champions League comes back on February 14, Real Madrid will try to defend their championship after winning last year, Pep Guardiola will strive to complete his Man City trophy case with his first UCL W since leaving Barcelona, and Lionel Messi and Kylian Mbappe will look to bring the trophy back to Paris after facing off in the World Cup Final.